Royal Huisman Building Worlds Largest Aluminium Yacht

first_imgzoom Dutch shipbuilder Royal Huisman has launched the construction of the world’s largest aluminium yacht at its facilities in Vollenhove.The 81-meter-long vessel, which is being built for an Asian client, is a joint effort of Royal Huisman, Dykstra Naval Architects, designer Mark Whiteley and Bart Kimman of Northrop & Johnson Asia, unveiled at the 2016 Monaco Yacht Show.Royal Huisman said that the keel is laid and the building frame for the main deck is under construction. The build of the world’s largest aluminium yacht has started!Within a year Royal Huisman completed the design phase, the construction planning and a large part of the engineering for this iconic yacht – all in close interaction with the owner, his team and the architects.Royal Huisman’s largest shipbuilding hall was upgraded in preparation for the new project.last_img read more

Police watchdog clear Port Alberni RCMP in jail cell death of First

first_imgLaurie HamelinAPTN NewsBritish Columbia’s police watchdog has cleared the Port Alberni RCMP of wrongdoing in the death of an 18-year-old First Nations woman.Jocelyn George died in 2016 after a night in police custody. George was taken into custody for being intoxicated in a public space. She was released later that day on June 23 only to be taken back later that evening after a relative, concerned for her wellbeing, called police.“She had been in cells overnight at the RCMP station in Port Alberni and they didn’t notice that her health had been deteriorating. When they checked on her in the morning, obviously something was wrong, and by the time they got her to the hospital, they flew her to Victoria, it was just too late,” said Judith Sayers, president of the Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council“Everybody was horrified, like how did this happen? Why did it happen? Why wasn’t it caught sooner?”It was later determined that George died from impacts of methamphetamine and cocaine on her heart.George was monitored through a video monitor through the night in question.“As long as she was moving her legs or something they thought she was OK. But obviously she wasn’t,” said Sayers.The RCMP were cleared in the death but the family is disappointed.“A security guard should always check on people, especially when they are incarcerated for intoxication of alcohol or drugs,” said Richard Lucas, George’s great uncle.Sayers said there needs to be a review.“We have had other Nuu-chah-nulth die in custody before. We don’t want to see it ever happen again and if we can take measures, if we can learn from this experience so that others don’t die in custody we’ll feel so much better that we have done everything that we can to help the memory of Jocelyn,” she [email protected]last_img read more

Improving business jet market could offset CSeries duty overhang says analyst

first_imgMONTREAL – A recovering business jet market could help Bombardier Inc. to offset the overhang from Boeing’s petition against its CSeries commercial jet, an industry analyst said Wednesday ahead of a second round of duties being slapped on exports to the U.S.“We are pleased with the encouraging signs seen so far, as business jets represent a key driver of Bombardier’s profitability,” Benoit Poirier of Desjardins Capital Markets wrote in a report.He pointed to a webinar conducted Tuesday by analytics and online aerospace trade publication Flightglobal that pointed to improving fundamentals in the business jet market.Poirier said the session indicated that pre-owned aircraft prices are stabilizing and that used plane sales increased 10 per cent in the first half of 2017, pushing inventories back to the level prior to the downturn and flight activity is increasing in the U.S. and Europe.That mirrors data from a JetNet Summit last month which showed that sentiment has improved over the past year but remains below 2014-2015, said analyst Seth Seifman of J.P. Morgan.He said trends in aircraft use and sale of used planes is offset by price weakness.After peaking at 1,136 industry new business jet deliveries in 2008, they dropped to 660 in 2013. Seifman expects them to fall to a low of 630 this year before picking up slightly in 2018.Demand for business jets is normally closely tied to U.S. corporate profits, but not so much since the recession because of excess supply of new planes, the stigma of flying private, low confidence and focus on cost-cutting.Bombardier (TSX:BBD.B) is a global leader in business jets, selling Learjets, Challenger and Global aircraft around the world. It is also developing a long-range Global 7000 that is expected to enter service in about a year.Business jets are expected to generate about 35 per cent of Bombardier’s revenues in 2020, up from about 30 per cent in 2017, and about half of the company’s consolidated adjusted EBIT (earnings before interest and taxes).“We remain confident in the company’s ability to further strengthen its leading position in the business jet segment as market conditions continue to improve,” Poirier added.Soon after joining Bombardier in 2015, CEO Alain Bellemare presented the company’s five-year turnaround plan.The Montreal-based company said it expects overall revenues will grow five to six per cent annually to exceed US$25 billion by 2020 with earnings more than doubling to seven to eight per cent.The forecast was delivered long before Boeing filed a petition against the CSeries last April. The Chicago-based company argued that Bombardier sold the jets to U.S.-based Delta Airlines at an unfairly low price with help from government subsidies in Canada.Bombardier has denied the charge but was slapped by the U.S. Department of Commerce with preliminary countervailing duties of 220 per cent. It is expected to announce large preliminary anti-dumping duties on Thursday.A final decision on export duties will depend on a ruling in December by the department or the U.S. International Trade Commission early next year on alleged harm to Boeing.last_img read more

Box Office Top 20 Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom is No 1

first_imgLOS ANGELES, Calif. – “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” and “Incredibles 2” fended off newcomers to top the box office again this weekend.The “Jurassic World” sequel took first place again with an additional $60.9 million in its second weekend in theatres. “Incredibles 2” landed second with $46.4 million.In its first weekend, another sequel, the action thriller “Sicario: Day of the Soldado” exceeded expectations with $19 million, as did the basketball comedy “Uncle Drew,” which launched with $15.2 million.“Ocean’s 8,” in its fourth weekend in theatres, rounded out the top five with $8.3 million.The top 20 movies at U.S. and Canadian theatres Friday through Sunday, followed by distribution studio, gross, number of theatre locations, average receipts per location, total gross and number of weeks in release, as compiled Monday by comScore:1. “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom,” Universal, $60,912,195, 4,485 locations, $13,581 average, $265,699,530, 2 Weeks.2. “Incredibles 2,” Disney, $46,417,761, 4,410 locations, $10,526 average, $440,601,275, 3 Weeks.3. “Sicario: Day Of The Soldado,” Sony, $19,007,566, 3,055 locations, $6,222 average, $19,007,566, 1 Week.4. “Uncle Drew,” Lionsgate, $15,242,781, 2,742 locations, $5,559 average, $15,242,781, 1 Week.5. “Ocean’s 8,” Warner Bros., $8,332,661, 3,426 locations, $2,432 average, $115,004,842, 4 Weeks.6. “Tag,” Warner Bros., $5,880,731, 3,176 locations, $1,852 average, $41,133,539, 3 Weeks.7. “Deadpool 2,” 20th Century Fox, $3,574,451, 2,094 locations, $1,707 average, $310,474,309, 7 Weeks.8. “Sanju,” Fox International Productions, $2,723,349, 356 locations, $7,650 average, $2,723,349, 1 Week.9. “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” Disney, $2,687,670, 1,654 locations, $1,625 average, $207,673,785, 6 Weeks.10. “Won’t You Be My Neighbour?,” Focus Features, $2,421,975, 654 locations, $3,703 average, $7,619,057, 4 Weeks.11. “Hereditary,” A24, $2,286,811, 1,424 locations, $1,606 average, $39,406,564, 4 Weeks.12. “Avengers: Infinity War,” Disney, $1,542,704, 890 locations, $1,733 average, $672,625,416, 10 Weeks.13. “Superfly,” Sony, $1,403,058, 1,157 locations, $1,213 average, $18,382,177, 3 Weeks.14. “Book Club,” Paramount, $671,039, 505 locations, $1,329 average, $66,124,671, 7 Weeks.15. “Rampage,” Warner Bros., $601,162, 201 locations, $2,991 average, $98,401,264, 12 Weeks.16. “Adrift,” STX Entertainment, $536,930, 508 locations, $1,057 average, $30,151,781, 5 Weeks.17. “RBG,” Magnolia Pictures, $415,979, 185 locations, $2,249 average, $11,550,341, 9 Weeks.18. “Hearts Beat Loud,” Gunpowder & Sky, $388,442, 170 locations, $2,285 average, $1,295,309, 4 Weeks.19. “American Animals,” The Orchard, $368,999, 292 locations, $1,264 average, $2,132,004, 5 Weeks.20. “Gotti,” Vertical Entertainment, $316,692, 331 locations, $957 average, $3,964,979, 3 Weeks.—Universal and Focus are owned by NBC Universal, a unit of Comcast Corp.; Sony, Columbia, Sony Screen Gems and Sony Pictures Classics are units of Sony Corp.; Paramount is owned by Viacom Inc.; Disney, Pixar and Marvel are owned by The Walt Disney Co.; Miramax is owned by Filmyard Holdings LLC; 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight are owned by 21st Century Fox; Warner Bros. and New Line are units of Time Warner Inc.; MGM is owned by a group of former creditors including Highland Capital, Anchorage Advisors and Carl Icahn; Lionsgate is owned by Lions Gate Entertainment Corp.; IFC is owned by AMC Networks Inc.; Rogue is owned by Relativity Media LLC.last_img read more

Trump weighs dramatic tightening of US embargo on Cuba

first_imgHAVANA — The Trump administration is weighing what could become the most serious tightening of the U.S. trade embargo on Cuba in more than two decades — a move that could unleash lawsuits against foreign companies that have invested on the island.A 1996 law known as the Helms-Burton Act give Americans the right to sue companies profiting from properties confiscated by Cuba’s government after its 1959 socialist revolution. But every U.S. president since Bill Clinton has suspended the key clause, known as Title III, in part because it could alienate U.S. allies whose companies have invested in Cuba.Secretary of State Mike Pompeo now says the administration is suspending Title III again, but only for 45 days instead of the standard six-month suspension, and the issue is under review.The Associated Presslast_img read more

Man arrested near Spirit River after series of gun battles last Friday

first_imgSPIRIT RIVER, A.B. – One man is in custody after allegedly trespassing on a rural property near Spirit River and getting into an altercation with multiple victims that included gunfire.At approximately 3:00 last Friday afternoon, members of the Spirit River RCMP were called to a rural property south of town after a male suspect was found trespassing on the complainant’s neighbour’s property. When confronted, the suspect drove off in a vehicle, while the complainant called 911 and followed in his own vehicle.Shortly thereafter, the suspect pulled over and fired several rounds from a handgun striking the complainant’s vehicle. The suspect then headed south, until it followed another passing vehicle into a yard that led to a rural home. Once there, the suspect pointed his firearm at the male driver and demanded his vehicle. The female passenger took the keys and retreated inside the residence not wanting to give keys to the vehicle while her four-year-old daughter was still in the back seat. Inside the residence, a round was fired by the suspect that missed the female victim when he again demanded she hand over the keys. The victim handed the keys to the suspect and updated 911. During this altercation between the female passenger and the suspect, the male driver had entered his residence and retrieved a long gun. He exited his residence and confronted the suspect while he was transferring stolen property from one vehicle to another. The victim told the suspect to surrender and drop his weapon. The suspect then fired at the victim, discharging multiple rounds. The victim fired back at the suspect but did not strike him. Thankfully, none of the victims were injured in this incident.The suspect departed on foot. RCMP arrived and contained the area. With the assistance of RCMP members from Grande Prairie, Fairview, and Police Dog Services the suspect was apprehended a short time later without incident.Ian Preston Letendre (30) of No Fixed Address is facing 25 Criminal Code Charges including:Break and Enter to a residenceDischarge firearm with intent to endanger life (x3)Pointing a firearm (x3)Mischief (x3)Careless use of a firearmUse firearm while committing an indictable offence (x2)Transport firearm in a careless mannerPossession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose (x2)Possession of a loaded restricted firearm (x2)Possession of a property obtained by crime over $5000Armed robberyCareless storage of a firearmUnlawful possession of a firearm in a vehicleUnlawful possession of a firearmPossession of a firearm obtained by crimeFail to comply with RecognizanceLetendre was remanded into custody and appeared in Grande Prairie Provincial Court today.“This was a dynamic situation where the suspect’s actions posed an imminent threat to rural residents. With the support of area residents and the collaboration of responding RCMP members, we were able to bring the incident to a quick resolution where thankfully no one was injured,” said Sgt. Ryan Frost, Spirit River Detachment Commander.last_img read more

Highway 97 closed near Powder King

first_imgUPDATE – As of 5:20 pm the highway is open to single lane traffic.CHETWYND, B.C. – Highway 97 is closed near Powder King.Highway 97 is closed between Powder King Road and Old Hasler Road, approximately 36km north of the Pine Pass Summit. A vehicle incident has caused the closure. There is no estimate on when the highway will re-open. There is no detour around the collision.#BCHwy97 road CLOSED due to vehicle incident between Powder King Rd. and Old Hasler Rd. , 36 km north of the Pine Pass Summit. Assessment in progress. https://t.co/8Pzypd4spk— DriveBC NE (@DriveBC_NE) February 6, 2019Drivebc.ca says the next update is expected at around 6 p.m. mountain time.For updates, visit www.drivebc.ca or watch this webpage.If you’re travelling in the area, let us know what you see, email [email protected]last_img read more

More than 10 stray dogs killed in Gurugrams posh area

first_imgGurugram: A NGO working for animal rights has alleged that more than 10 stray dogs were murdered brutally in Gurugram’s posh residential area of Uppal South End. It claims that the merciless killing took place for two consecutive days on April 1 and April 2 where people were brazen enough to commit this act of crime in broad daylight.According to the activists, old stray dogs were specifically targetted by the rogue elements who killed them by beating them with rods. The carcasses were then put in a sack and dumped in the vacant areas. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder”Recently on April 1 and 2 some goons were in the society during broad daylight beating dogs they managed to catch with rods and sticks. Some of this has been caught in CCTV and some has been witnessed by some children and guards. In fact, it was some children who first informed about this to the animal lovers,” said Smita, the official from the NGO which is pursuing the case “We believe that both RWA and security agency are to blame or are the mastermind for this as there is no way goons with weapons would come into the society 2 days in a row in broad daylight unless they were authorised,” she further added. A police complaint was filed by RWA on April 3 and the law enforcement officials have begun the investigations. This is not for the first time in Gurugram when stray dogs have been targeted by the people. In May 2018, five puppies were stoned to death in DLF City E Block colony, another posh locality in the city.last_img read more

Have to look beyond resume to make casts diverse

first_imgLos Angeles: Actor Olivia Wilde believes it is important to give new people a chance and look beyond the established set of actors to bring diversity in the cast and crew of a film. The actor, whose debut directorial venture Booksmart boasts of a diverse team with many newcomers on board, said she did not face trouble during the casting of the film. “It turns out when you see all actors and you just hire the best people, you actually end up with a really representative set. The problem is most people don’t look at everyone. If we keep drawing from the same pool, it becomes this recycled pot of inspiration. There’s nothing new if you don’t take a step further,” Wilde said at the screening of the film. Also Read – ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ has James Cameron’s fingerprints all over it: Arnold SchwarzeneggerThe movie features Kaitlyn Dever and Beanie Feldstein in the lead, and Wilde roped in professional skaters Victoria Ruesga and Nico Haraga to play the role of their friends. “In order for casts to become more diverse and representative the same goes for crew behind the camera you have to look beyond resume. You have to hire people based on their talent, their skills, their ideas, their passion. “If we keep hiring based on resume, we will just continue this paradigm and everything will be the same as it’s been. We have to break the mold, we have to change the way we hire people.”last_img read more

Security guard arrested for harassing minor girls

first_imgGurugram: In an appalling case reported from Gurugram, a security guard was arrested on Thursday for allegedly sexually assaulting minor girls on the pretext of playing with them in the park.The 42-year-old accused was identified as Sudama, he has been charged with sexually assaulting two minor girls. Reportedly, he has been sent to judicial custody. A complaint was lodged at the Palam Vihar police station alleging that a security guard who had been working in a house at Sector 23, misbehaved with two minor girls and touched them inappropriately, while the girl was playing in the park. After the complaint was lodged the local police officer reached the spot and the accused was nabbed by the police. the accused has been booked under sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences(POCSO) Act. Reportedly, during the preliminary investigation, Sudama confessed to the charges levelled against him by the victim’s parents. he told the police that he would pretend to play with them in the park and while giving them a swing he would often touch them inappropriately. The incident comes in the light of the district court sentencing 20 years’ rigorous imprisonment to a 22-year-old man held guilty of raping an eight-year-old girl in February 2017. The additional sessions judge Raj Rani Gupta also imposed a fine of Rs 50,000 on the convict for aggravated sexual assault, punishable under section 6 of the Protection Of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act and criminal intimidation. The man was sentenced to a further year of rigorous imprisonment for failing to pay the fine. The Sector 18 police station had registered a case against Shiv Kumar, a native of Bihar, on February 9, 2017. Gurugram along with its counterpart Faridabad is leading in terms of sexual crimes against minors. In 2018, there were 120 cases of sexual crimes against minors while in 2017 thee were 110 cases. Not only sexual crimes but the law enforcement officials also have to deal with increased cases of human trafficking.last_img read more