Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion Our casino-cheerleading Mayor Gary McCarthy tried to convince Schenectady residents that a casino will help the local economy and small businesses and lower property taxes. It’s becoming clear that the mayor was untruthful about the benefits of the casino, and he was trivializing and ignoring its negative impacts. The mayor lied to property owners about their increasing property taxes and signed a worthless resolution pledging an 18 percent property tax reduction from the casino money. This year, however, he offered a measly 1 percent that was annulled by the increase in water/sewer charges.For people who demanded that the mayor sign a host community agreement with the developer, he bluntly refused and declared that Schenectady will be receiving $14 million annually of casino money, and that our zero-dollar deal is better than what other towns have signed with their casino developers. In addition to the money other towns are getting from the state, they are also receiving millions each year in direct payments from their casinos to pay for the impacts on their towns. Schenectady is only receiving what the state is releasing to it from the casino dollars that it collects. As for property owners who can no longer afford their property taxes, McCarthy will continue doing what he has done best since becoming mayor — repossess their properties, let them rot for a few years and then sell them for a fraction of what they’re actually worth, or demolish them if they don’t sell and take them permanently off the tax roll.Mohamed HafezSchenectadyMore from The Daily Gazette:Motorcyclist injured in Thursday afternoon Schenectady crashSchenectady, Saratoga casinos say reopening has gone well; revenue down 30%EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesSchenectady man dies following Cutler Street dirt bike crashEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motorists
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
“We’re monitoring the situation on a daily basis and we’ll adapt if we have to.”UEFA said earlier this month that this season’s Champions League, suspended in March because of the COVID-19 pandemic, would be completed with an eight-team mini-tournament in Lisbon from Aug. 12-23.Last Thursday, the Portuguese government said that those living in the affected areas of the capital – 19 parishes not including downtown Lisbon – would be allowed to leave home only to buy essential goods or to travel to and from work.The measure will be in place July 1-14 and will then be reviewed.Topics : UEFA currently sees no need for a plan B for the Champions League final tournament due to be held in Lisbon, despite several suburbs of the Portuguese capital preparing to go back into lockdown as coronavirus cases surge again.”UEFA is in permanent contact with the Portuguese Football Association and the local authorities,” the governing body told French sports daily L’Equipe.”We hope that everything will go well and that it will be possible to organize the tournament in Portugal. For the moment there is no reason to have a plan B.
Advertisement Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 13 Mar 2019 11:37 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link26Shares The Frenchman held talks with Solskjaer (Picture: Getty)Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus would come knocking for Pogba were he to become available in the summer, but that option is now off the table.United will hold off on offering Pogba a new long-term deal as they have the option to extend his current contract by another 12 months.Solskjaer will be delighted with Pogba’s decision after helping his talisman rediscover his best form in recent months.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityPogba has scored eight times and provided six assists in the Premier League since Solskjaer took over in November, as United has risen up the table.United are in a fight for a spot in the top four, but have to make up two points after suffering defeat to Arsenal last Sunday.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves Paul Pogba wants to stay at Manchester United after previously considering transfer Pogba has been key to United’s quick resurgence (Picture: Getty)The Sun claim Pogba and Solskjaer have sat down several times over the last few weeks for private chats at Carrington, in which the Red Devil reaffirmed his commitment to United.ADVERTISEMENTPogba has two years left on his current deal at United and has abandoned the idea of forcing his way out of the club at the end of the season.AdvertisementAdvertisementBarcelona were interested in signing Pogba and were reportedly offered the chance to land the 25-year-old by super agent Mino Raiola. Comment United are set to keep hold of Pogba (Picture: Getty)Paul Pogba now wants to stay at Manchester United after holding talks with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer about his future at the club, reports say.The United midfielder had been considering an exit in the summer after struggling for form under previous manager Jose Mourinho.But the arrival of Solskjaer sparked a sudden rejuvenation in Pogba, and the Frenchman is now United’s stand-out performer under the Norwegian.
Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak will face a second trial which is a re-trial over the killing of protesters during the 2011 uprising which forced him from power.The order was made by Egypt’s appeal court.The judge accepted the public prosecution’s appeal against an earlier court ruling that dropped the case against Mubarak.Mubarak, who ruled Egypt with an iron first for three decades, has already spent at least three years in prison for other cases.The judge said the retrial, based on charges against him of conspiring to kill protesters during the 2011 Arab Spring uprising centered around Cairo’s Tahrir Square, would begin on Nov. 5.Last month an Egyptian court sentenced the former ruler and his two sons to three years in jail without parole in the retrial of a corruption case.The former president, who was in power for nearly 30 years, stepped down in February 2011 after mass protests against his rule.He has faced a series of trials and retrials over the killings and corruption and the time he has spent in custody means he has already served his three-year jail term for embezzlement. Hosni Mubarak has already spent three years in prison
Loading… Taking part in a Twitter Q&A session, one fan asked him ‘Is Sarri the most boring/risk averse coach in a big club?’ Fabregas stated: “He has his tactics and he dies with them. “He’s not very flexible let’s say but he’s a good man with a good heart.”Advertisement The Monaco man was then asked who the hardest manager he has worked under, to which he said: “Conte by far. “I always said that coming back and change around his mind about me was one of the most satisfying things I’ve done in my career. Read Also:Revealed! Chelsea paid sacked Conte £26.6million compensation “I had to be silent and sweat a lot though.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeOnly The Chosen Ones Can Appear On-Screen Even After Their DeathWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?What Is A Black Hole And Is It Dangerous For Us All?10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoDid You Notice How Natural Simba’s Movements Looked In The Movie?The 10 Best Female Drivers In Racing HistoryTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All TimeFantastic-Looking (and Probably Delicious) Bread ArtTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The World6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo Cesc Fabregas has lifted the lid on what it was like playing under Antonio Conte and Maurizio Sarri.
The Lady Pirates are anxious for the outdoor season to open next Thursday April 6 at home against East Central and Batesville.Courtesy of Pirates Coaches Mike Myers and Katina Tekulve. The Boys Track and Field team completed their Indoor season on Saturday at IU participating in the Hoosier State Relays.Competing for the Pirates were Junior Tanner Yonts, shot put and the 4×800 meter relay squad of Seniors Reid McClintic, Kevin Johnson and Louis Moore along with Freshman Hunter Butz. Even though no one made the podium, even competed well and gained valuable experience for the upcoming outdoor season.The Pirates will be in action on April 6 when they host conference foes Batesville and East Central and then they will host the Crossbones Relays on April 8.http://iatccc.org/hsr/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/t_2017_hoosier-state-relays-small-schools.pdfThe Lady Pirates closed their indoor season at IU during the Hoosier State Relays Saturday afternoon.Four individuals and one relay team qualified for the coveted top 24 spots amongst all the small schools in the state of Indiana. High Jump Medalist Arie Hampton and Shot Put Medalist Lily Grimes both earned 5th place on the podium. Both Hampton and Grimes improved upon their performances from last year at HSR with better marks. Grimes actually threw a career best with 38’9.75″.Other improvements came from the girls 4 x 800 crew composed of Cathy Newhart, Morgan Winkler, Julia Ankney, and Cameron Jones who dropped 24 seconds from their previous relay time. HSR 60m hurdle qualifier Rylie Smith and shot put qualifier Erin Browning also performed well and gained significant experience for what comes next.
WITH just under two weeks before the Guyana Motor Racing and Sports Club’s (GMR&SC) International race-week, the battle, according to one driver,will be among the lower groups.Paul Jiwanram, who competes in the Group One class, believes that the real nail biting action will be among those drivers in his class.Speaking to Chronicle Sport, the Suzuki Swift driver believes that come November 13, the battles will be stiffer than the past year,stating “November 13 is going to be a very exciting meet.”“I’m not worried about them too much, we always have something up our sleeve with the Suzuki,” he continued.Jiwanram, who drives under the team ER Racing banner alongside Azad Hassan, Daniel Deokie and Troy Muir, stated that he is relishing the chance to drive in front on an expected capacity crowd at the South Dakota Circuit.“It’s a lot of pressure driving in front of a capacity crowd, but the more people there to see you the more encouraged you are to race,” he said.The group-one driver stated, “Our mechanic is good with engine so everyone is up to the game. We are going to have a fight between ourselves but Daniel Deokie just moved up to the 1600 class so it’s just Me,Azad (Hassan) and Troy (Muir).”Speaking specifically about his machine, Jiwanram said, “We are working on the car, and we’ve started working on the (engine) head earlier this week; we were missing some parts and this weekend we will have all the engine parts and by next week, we are in full force.”“We did some upgrades to the engine, fine tune the suspension a bit, change the shocks in front and made sure that we get some proper handling,” he concluded.His yellow Suzuki Swift is sponsored by Noble House Seafoods, Imax, Pristine Waters, Smart Aid Pharmacy, Surrendra and Sons Auto Sales And Furniture Store, Atlantic Petroleum and A&R Jiwanram Printery.
By Alan BaldwinSILVERSTONE, England (Reuters) – A competition to design Lewis Hamilton’s 2017 helmet has been won by a Brazilian who incorporated a tribute to Ayrton Senna in it along with three stars for the Formula One titles won by both the late Brazilian and the Briton.Hamilton, who will unveil his new Mercedes race car to the world at Silverstone today, announced Rai Caldato, a professional designer, as the winner to his 3.8 million Instagram followers.“Rai evolves my layout by adding new stripe elements on the sides. As a tribute to my hero, Ayrton Senna, the helmet features the colours of Brazil – green, yellow and blue,” said the 32-year-old.“These are accompanied with the three stars that represent my Championship wins.“There’s yellow throughout that reminds me of my helmets in the past. The candy apple red balances with the yellow very well,” he added.The design had 52 000 ‘likes’ within four hours.Hamilton challenged fans last month to design his race helmet for the season starting in Australia on March 26, with the winner meeting the driver and receiving a full-size replica.Hamilton is the clear pre-season favourite following the surprise retirement of German teammate and world champion Nico Rosberg last month.He has changed his helmet design several times over the years, racing with a yellow helmet in tribute to Senna in his early years and at McLaren. The colours changed when he moved to Mercedes in 2013.Under Formula One’s regulations, a driver’s helmet design must be substantially the same for the entire season — to ensure drivers can be distinguished easily — but one special version is allowed at a race of his choosing.
By Nick SaidDURBAN, South Africa (Reuters) – Cricket South Africa (CSA) selection convener Linda Zondi said yesterday they have no regrets in turning down an approach from retired batsman AB de Villiers to make himself available for the Cricket World Cup in England.South Africa have lost all three of their games at the tournament, largely because of a soft middle-order that has missed the quality of one of the world’s premier batsmen.But Zondi said an approach by de Villiers to come out of international retirement for the World Cup had come 24 hours before South Africa were due to announce their final squad, and was rejected out of hand.“At no point in the year that he had retired did he make himself available for selection,” Zondi said in a CSA statement yesterday.“It was no option when I received the news on the day of the squad announcement, our squad was finalised and confirmed.“AB is undoubtedly one of the best players in the world, but above all else, we have to stay true to our morals and principles, there is no regret in the decision.”There would also have been a feeling of opportunism on behalf of de Villiers, who had skipped South Africa’s build-up to the event, but then sought to be part of the party at the last minute.“I pleaded with AB de Villiers not to retire in 2018,” Zondi added. “Although there was a perception that he was picking and choosing when to play – which was not true – I did give him the option to plan and monitor his season to get him to the World Cup fresh and in a good space.“We made it clear that he would have to play during the home tours against Sri Lanka and Pakistan to be considered for selection, instead he signed to play in the Pakistan and Bangladesh Premier Leagues respectively.“He turned down the offer and said he was at peace with his decision to retire.”Zondi admitted that de Villiers’ request for inclusion had come as a surprise, and they owed it to other players in the squad who had worked towards being part of the World Cup to stick with them.“For (captain) Faf du Plessis and (coach) Ottis Gibson to share AB’s desire to be included in the squad on the day we announced our World Cup squad on April 18 was a shock to all of us,” Zondi said.“AB left a big vacuum when he retired, we had a year to find players at franchise level to fill the gap. We had players who put in the hard work, who put up their hands and deserved to be given the opportunity to go to the World Cup.“The decision was based on principle; we had to be fair to the team, the selection panel, our franchise system and players.”de Villiers retired from all forms of international cricket last May, but has played in lucrative Twenty20 competitions since. He had captained South Africa at the 2015 World Cup, when they exited in the semi-finals against New Zealand.