The Latest: White Sox pitching prospect Kopech not playing

first_imgVirginia says two football players have tested positive for COVID-19 and will self-isolate for at least 10 days, along with other members of the program found to have come into close contact with them.The school says 110 players were tested when the player returned to campus beginning July 5 for voluntary workouts. The players were all tested before the workout began, the school says. It adds that none of the players that tested positive have required hospitalization.The tests were administered by UVA athletics sports medicine.The players with positive test results will self-isolate for 10 days, or until they have been fever-free for at least three days, whichever is longer. They also will undergo cardiac screening before they are permitted to join daily sports functions.The school did not indicate how many others were determined through contact tracing to have come into close contact with the players infected. It also did not indicate whether any coaches or other football staff have tested positive for the novel coronavirus. More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports All those found to have come into contact with the infected players will be asked to self-quarantine for at least 14 days and are unable to participate in daily sports functions in that time.___San Francisco Giants star catcher Buster Posey is the latest big-name player to skip this season because of concerns over the coronavirus pandemic.Posey announced his decision on Friday. He says his family finalized the adoption of identical twin girls this week. The babies were born prematurely and Posey said after consultations with his wife and doctor he decided to opt out of the season. Posey had missed three practices while dealing with a personal issue.Posey joins other big-name players like Dodgers pitcher David Price, Washington first baseman Ryan Zimmerman, Colorado’s Ian Desmond and Arizonna pitcher Mike Leake in deciding not to take part in the 60-game season this year. The White Sox believe they are poised for a turnaround after seven straight losing seasons. But losing Kopech for the season and Moncada for at least a little while are big blows.Both players had been absent since the White Sox resumed workouts last week for the first time since Major League Baseball shut down camps in March.The team had said Kopech was dealing with a personal issue.“We recognize that reaching this decision is incredibly difficult for any competitive athlete, and our organization is understanding and supportive,” general manager Rick Hahn said in a statement. “We will work with Michael to assure his development continues throughout 2020, and we look forward to welcoming him back into our clubhouse for the 2021 season.”The 24-year-old right-hander is coming back from Tommy John surgery in September 2018. He hit triple-digits on the radar gun during his first spring training appearance. Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Chicago White Sox prized pitching prospect Michael Kopech has opted not to play this season. The team also said star third baseman Yoán Moncada and pitcher Jose Ruiz were placed on the 10-day injure list because of unspecified ailments. The Latest: White Sox pitching prospect Kopech not playingcenter_img ___Atlantic Coast Conference commissioner John Swofford says the league expects to make its decision on fall sports in “late July.”The league put out Swofford’s statement Friday afternoon, saying the league has prepared “numerous scenarios” for fall competition over the last few months. The decision would come from the league’s board of directors.Earlier this week, the ACC delayed the start of fall competition until at least Sept. 1. That move impacts non-revenue programs like soccer, volleyball, field hockey and cross country, but not football for now. The first football game involving a league team is North Carolina State’s trip to Louisville on Sept. 2.___ Kopech was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte on March 26 and likely would have opened the year in the minors had the season started on time.Kopech was acquired by Chicago in the December 2016 trade that sent Chris Sale to the Boston Red Sox. He made his big league debut in 2018, going 1-1 with a 5.02 ERA in four starts.Moncada set career highs by hitting .315 with 25 homers and 79 RBIs in a breakthrough season last year.___South American soccer body CONMEBOL said Friday its Copa Libertadores tournament will restart Sept. 15, more than six months after it was suspended. July 10, 2020 — Josh Dubow reporting.___The Red Sox and Blue Jays will play two exhibition games at Fenway Park before baseball’s delayed regular-season opener.Toronto will visit Boston on July 21 and 22 before heading down to Tampa Bay for its opener. The Red Sox are scheduled to open at home against the Baltimore Orioles on July 24.___ The Copa Sudamericana, the second most prestigious club competition of the region, will resume on Oct. 27, CONMEBOL said.South America is one of the epicenters of the COVID-19 pandemic. Brazil alone has counted more than 70,000 fatalities due to the virus.The soccer body said teams that need to play out of their hometowns because of the pandemic will have enough time to do so. The presence of fans will depend on local authorities, according to CONMEBOL’s health protocols.___The University of Michigan says two athletes tested positive during a second round of COVID-19 testing, bringing the total to four out of the 375 who have been tested. The school says none of the 139 staff members have tested positive.last_img read more

UFC Throwback: Watch Conor McGregor KO Jose Aldo within seconds in HISTORIC fight

first_img LIVE TV Raj Sarkar Last Updated: 13th December, 2019 19:02 IST UFC Throwback: Watch Conor McGregor KO Jose Aldo Within Seconds In HISTORIC Fight Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo faced each other on this day, four years ago at UFC 194. Relive the throwback fight between them which ended extremely quickly. Also Read | UFC: Relive The Fight Where Amanda Nunes Was Knocked Out By Cat Zingano At UFC 178Also Read | Colby Covington Makes Special Trump Tower Visit Before UFC 245 Fight, Promises To Win First Published: 13th December, 2019 17:24 IST On this day in 2015 (IST), Conor McGregor revolutionalised the featherweight division for all the good reasons. It was definitely heartbreaking for Jose Aldo and all the Brazilian fans. However, Conor McGregor’s claim to the title gave hope to a lot of featherweight fighters. Before McGregor, Jose Aldo was the only man to have obtained the 145 lbs UFC gold.On this very day, Conor McGregor created history by knocking out the Brazilian veteran at UFC 194.Also Read | UFC: Amanda Nunes And Nina Anasroff’s Love Story Keeps On Inspiring The FansUFC: Conor McGregor’s throwback fight against Jose AldoThe much-awaited contest between two of the best fighters took place in 2015. To everyone’s shock, Conor McGregor stopped the fight in thirteen seconds of the very first round. No one expected that to happen since Jose Aldo was coming off 15 consecutive victories and an undefeated streak of more than seven years. However, McGregor proved everyone wrong and all he needed to do the ‘impossible’ was one single punch.It was a quick day at work for Mr Notorious as he got his first UFC gold by dethroning Jose Aldo. As the bell rang, Jose Aldo rushed towards the Irish and threw a deadly right jab. McGregor was already prepared for it and counter attacked Aldo with a vicious left hand followed with hammer fists. The fight that took months to get fixed, ended in thirteen seconds as Conor McGregor was crowned as the new featherweight champion of UFC. Take a look at the fight: SUBSCRIBE TO UScenter_img Written By FOLLOW US COMMENT Also Read | Amanda Nunes Reacts To Being Called GOAT Female Fighter Ahead Of Her UFC 245 FightUFC: Current status of Conor McGregor and Jose AldoBoth Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo are no longer active in the 145 lbs division. Jose Aldo is set to make his bantamweight debut against Marlon Moraes at UFC 245, while Conor McGregor has already confirmed his return against Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone at UFC 246. The intense rivalry between both the gladiators has ended and McGregor has nothing but respect for his former rival. WATCH US LIVElast_img read more

Lloris Savouring Century for France

first_img The France captain has done just that for the last ten years, providing an obstacle at the back with solid performances and decisive saves. And he served another potent reminder of his worth by thwarting Paolo Guerrero with his feet against Peru, preventing a goal that could have changed the course of the game.“Hugo deserves his record and it’s great that he was able to celebrate it without conceding,” added Olivier Giroud, quick to congratulate his skipper and give us his thoughts on a superb milestone. “He was very good once again this evening.” The rest of his team-mates – and a grateful nation – would no doubt concur.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram How important that clean sheet proved. Not only did he help Les Bleus book their spot in the Round of 16, the France captain also found the perfect way to celebrate a personal landmark – his 100th international cap. “I feel good,” he explained afterwards, before turning his focus to the team’s performance. “Together we were very solid and aggressive, and we stood up to Peru’s pressing. That was our platform.” Imperious during France’s second game at the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia, Hugo Lloris rode to his team’s rescue during the first half against Peru. It was a familiar sight, the goalkeeper having also averted disaster against Australia at almost the exact same moment in the match. But while he went on to concede a penalty against the Socceroos, this time Lloris held firm until the final whistle. Enough to maybe speak a little more about his own achievement? It was worth one last try, with a prompt to discuss his longevity, consistency and strengths. What, in short, is Lloris’s secret? “Hard work,” he replied, possibly to nobody’s great surprise. “It’s always a question of hard work … and challenging yourself as well.”That combination has allowed Lloris to make France’s No1 shirt his own since 2008. As the years roll on, however, he will eventually have to pass on the gloves – and he already has advice for any future challengers. “You have to learn to savour it,” explained the Nice academy graduate. “It flies by. To represent your country is an opportunity and a privilege, and you have to tell yourself that and repeat it because the years go by so quickly in football. It’s not enough to just be in the team: you have to stay there for as long as possible.”center_img Modest to a fault, the former Lyon custodian has never enjoyed being the centre of attention and at 31 years of age, with a decade in the France line-up behind him, he is clearly not about to change. Instead, he quickly shifted the spotlight back onto his team’s display: “We were able to make the difference with our goal and then we managed to control the game. I’m very satisfied.” Lloris played his own role, of course, and he admitted to feeling moved by reaching his century. “On a personal level, I couldn’t have this enjoyed this 100th appearance more,” he said, having also worn the captain’s armband a record 76 times. “Despite that, for me it was like any other game: you have to put that to one side when you’re on the pitch. I stayed focused, professional, and my only motivation was to win and give everything for the team.”last_img read more