NZ Herald 11 September 2017Labour leader Jacinda Ardern says she’s the victim of a deliberate misinformation campaign about her stance on abortion.The question of where she drew the line was raised during her interview on this morning’s Newstalk ZB leaders breakfast segment with Larry Williams.Family First NZ’s Bob McCoskrie asked if Ardern would personally endorse Abortion Law Reform Association of New Zealand’s preferred new law, based on a Canadian model that would seek to legalise abortion on demand up till birth.Ardern did not shy away from the question but used it to clear up what she said had been misleading information about her views.“There has been a huge amount of misinformation and my image has been used inappropriately with that misinformation.“Yes I think abortion should come out of the Crimes Act. That does not mean for a moment that I am proposing what has been claimed, that you should be able to have on demand abortion till birth.”What Ardern said she wanted was to remove abortion from the Crimes Act and have it put within a regulated context that made sure it was safe.She categorically denied supporting abortion till birth.“They have said till 40 weeks, which is wrong, which is wrong. We have time periods already set out in law, I’m not proposing changes to that. I’m proposing it comes out of the Crimes Act.”The controversy around her views on abortion was sparked following the Newshub leaders debate on September 4, where she said she would remove abortion from the Crimes Act if she was prime minister.A number of pro-life and anti-abortion groups came out strongly criticising her views as one that would pave the way for late-term abortions.Saving Downs last week launched a social media campaign, which wrongly stated Labour’s policy would be to allow for abortion up to birth for babies with disabilities.The post has since been removed from social media, but another one has gone up asking Ardern to confirm Labour would not be removing the 20-week limit for abortions for babies with disabilities.Meanwhile the Abortion Law Reform Association of New Zealand, last week, welcomed Ardern’s announcement as one that gave women more freedom of choice.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11920894Keep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox.
The trio are graduates of Saints’ much-vaunted youth system and have seen their progress rewarded with extended deals. Turnbull is currently impressing on loan at League One promotion hopefuls Swindon and on Thursday signed a new contract until 2018. The 19-year-old has been with Saints since being released by Fulham in 2011 and, having recovered from a long-term knee injury, extended his stay until 2017. “I’m delighted to get it actually signed and all sorted so I can now just focus on my football and prove my place,” Mugabi said. “The next progression for me is first-team football, so hopefully I can carry on working hard and prove myself in training and matches. “The club gave me my chance when Fulham let me go. It’s the place to be for any young footballer. “Southampton have produced loads of players and hopefully I can be one of them to come through.” Jason McCarthy, Bevis Mugabi and Jordan Turnbull have all signed new contracts with Southampton. The 20-year-old was one of three defenders to commit their future to St Mary’s in the space of a day, with McCarthy and Mugabi following suit. The former has been involved in the first-team squad on a number of occasions and made his professional debut in Saints’ 3-1 win at Crystal Palace on Boxing Day. McCarthy, captain of the club’s Under-21s side, has been rewarded for that progress with a new deal which will keep him at St Mary’s until 2017. “It’s great to put pen to paper,” he told Southampton’s official YouTube channel. “Obviously at the start of the year I knew I was out of contract at the end of the season. “I was pleased with my progress at the time and I think I’ve done well this season so far. “I’ve been with the club since I was seven years old, so it really shows that I’m at the right place.” The announcement was followed by news that Mugabi had signed a new two-and-a-half year deal. Press Association