Dan Cohen AUTHOR A new BRAC round could save the Defense Department as much as 25 percent of the cost of some missions, Jamie Morin, director for the Pentagon’s office of Cost Assessment and Program Evaluation, said Monday at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.But without Congress’ assent, DOD will be unable to reap the savings from eliminating unneeded infrastructure and succeed in its cost-cutting reforms.“So it’s not a popular answer, but base realignment and closure is an important piece of this,” he said, reported Defense News.Last week, Pete Potochney, acting assistant secretary of defense for energy, installations and environment, said the department estimates it could save $2 billion annually from a new BRAC, which the administration has proposed should be launched in 2019. Morin indicated a significant portion of the savings associated with base closures stems from the reduced need for personnel.“When I worked for the Air Force, our walking around, rough-order estimate was it took 800 to 900 airmen to open a base, before you had any operational folks there,” Morin said.He said that Pentagon officials were not happy with the 2005 round and emphasized DOD’s intention for the next BRAC to focus on efficiency, according to the story.“A future BRAC round would have a much different financial ramification — even though the 2005 BRAC round is now paying off for the department financially, it was a much smaller scale of closure and large-scale realignment than the previous rounds, which yielded much larger financial savings earlier,” Morin stated.
WILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington High School Varsity Softball Team honored its senior players and their parents on Tuesday, May 21, 2019. Congrats to Kacie Bourrell, Gianna Brunetto, Kayla Bourrell, Ally Moran, and Ryan Bailey!Watch the short Senior Night ceremony, courtesy of Wilmington Community Television, below:——Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedVIDEO: WHS Girls Lacrosse Team Celebrates Its SeniorsIn “Videos”VIDEO: WHS Girls Tennis Team Celebrates Its SeniorsIn “Videos”VIDEO: Watch The 2019 Wilmington High Scholarship NightIn “Videos”
The fire was sparked by a short circuit in the basement of the hostel building.IANSA fire broke out at the Kaveri Girls Hostel in the Janakpuri area of South Delhi at around 3 am on Wednesday. Around 50 girls were rescued from the building, six of whom have been admitted to the hospital due to smoke inhalation.Two of the six girls have reportedly been discharged after receiving first aid.The fire is set to have sparked by a short circuit in the basement of the building, which later spread to the ground and first floor. It was brought under control by 3:30 am by the efforts of the Delhi Fire Service.The incident comes in the wake of the Surat Fire Tragedy, which claimed the lives of 23 students at a coaching centre.The Delhi government had instructed the city’s fire department to take immediate actions for closing down coaching centres operating above the fourth floor in buildings in violation of fire safety norms, on Monday.The fire department has begun its operations already, identifying four major hubs for coaching centres and setting up four teams to inspect them.”We have found that are about 4,000-5,000 coaching centres in the national capital. The department has decided to divide work among four teams who will be inspecting coaching centres in Laxmi Nagar, Karol Bagh, Mukherjee Nagar and Kalu Sarai which are believed to be the biggest hubs for coaching,” said Atul Garg, Chief Fire Officer, Delhi.(With inputs from IANS)
D.C. resident Ronald Johnson was happy with the reopening of the Rhode Island Avenue Metrorail station on Sept. 4 following its closure on Sept. 1 for safety concerns. However, he and many of the riders using the station remain reluctant about the overall safety of the system.“It is important to ensure the safety of the riders, but also to address general maintenance before things literally begin to fall apart,” Johnson told the AFRO. “Concrete and metal rods falling from the system, coupled with the massive construction projects surrounding [the] station, made me feel like the entire structure could potentially collapse.Free shuttle services operated between Rhode Island Avenue and Brookland stations throughout the time the station was closed, when transit authority engineers concluded that the ceiling contained several “areas of loose concrete” that probably deteriorated from exposure to the environment. The report concluded, however, that the falling debris did not reveal any “structural concerns” that could endanger riders.The report also documented the metal bracket and concrete that fell had previously filled an approximate 6-inch gap between the beam that supports the platform and the escalator. “Subsequently, station personnel on Thursday (Sept. 1) evening reported small pieces of concrete falling from the station ceiling about 40 feet away from the location of the Wednesday (Aug. 31) repairs. After the second incident, a third-party expert was engaged to conduct a more robust inspection to ensure that the structure is sound and does not present a hazard to the riding public.”As a precaution, inspectors installed debris-catching netting across the entire length of the station and scheduled a large-scale inspection of the station in coming weeks, according to the report. “I don’t trust the system right now, especially since the reports are that the area is safe, but there are nets and other safety measures all over the station,” rider Victoria French told the AFRO. “Fortunately there is a bike rental station here that will allow me to still get around.”French said between the general overcrowding and the extended SafeTrack repair schedule, the system’s failures made it too unreliable for regular use. The Rhode Island Metrorail station was among the original four Red Line stops that opened in 1976.